Friday, December 30, 2011

My Top 30 Films of 2011!


So here are my top 30 films of 2011.
I actually saw less NEW films this year than any recent year. It seems watching older flicks I love got more play for me in 2011. Well here goes my personal 30 favorite movies with a little blurb with each.



30.
The Lincoln Lawyer




I have a weakness for courtroom movies and this was a damn good one. Its no Primal Fear but i thought it was very entertaining and really dug it.




29.
X-MEN: FIRST CLASS



After the hiccups of X3 and Wolverine, finally we have another great X flick. Part 2 is still the benchmark.



28.
Hall Pass


A lot funnier than I expected it to be. Got quite a few huge laughs out of me. A scene involving a sneeze had me on the floor. Great comedy.




27.
13 ASSASSINS



Another great Miike flick. While not for the impatient movie goer, i found it to be engrossing and the last half hour is non stop awesome action (minus some bad cgi in one scene).



26.
Chillerama



This was so much fun and would have been higher on my list if it werent for one segment, the Were-Bear story. In my opinion it was completely out of place with the rest of the stories and it was just plain dumb. It really dragged the movie down for me. My favorite story was Adam Green's The Diary of Anne Frankenstein.



25.
Limitless




Great thriller that I really expected nothing from and ended up loving it.



24.
Source Code



Duncan Jones is now 2 for 2. After his great flick MOON, i was excited for this and it didnt disappoint.



23.
Grave Encounters



If you arent into "found footage" movies you wont dig this one. I loved it. Very creepy and had some great scares.



22.
The Perfect Host


Wasnt sure how this one would be since the trailers pretty much gave away the kinda twist in it. David Hyde Pierce was completely off the wall and great in this and made this one really fun.



21.
The Reef


If you know me, you know my love / fear of sharks so of I was bound to enjoy this. Somewhat similar to Open Water though I think this one is more audience friendly. I loved both this and Open Water though.



20.
The Human Centipede 2


Loved the first one and though this one was a completely different kind of beast, i loved it as well. Sick and fucked up. Just how I like it.



19.
Final Destination 5



I had lost hope for this series after the turd sandwich known as part 4. This one got it right. Great opening disaster. Tension filled deaths. Awesome ending.



18.
Paranormal Activity 3




Another great entry into the series although im not LOVING the direction they are going with some of the backstory. I prefer the first one when it was just simply a haunting.



17.
The Woman


Lucky McKee hits another one out of the park. While I didnt find it as fucked up as early reviews suggested I still loved the hell out of it. Great soundtrack and score as well. As is expected from a Lucky movie.



16.
The Thing


Carpenter's original The Thing is in my top 5 films of all time and I dont see this as an insult like a lot of others do. Its a prequel and its fits perfectly with Carpenter's flick and I loved the nods to that film. The only negative is the CGI which seems to have been Studio tampering. Still really enjoyed it.





15.
I Spit on Your Grave remake


Pretty sweet and brutal remake. I like that they took the central core of the original and then added their own twists.




14.
Scream 4


After a long hiatus Scream is back and good as ever. Always been a fan of the series and was happy to have it back. I wish the ending had been less Safe but otherwise a fine entry.




13.
Mission Impossible 4: Ghost Protocol


I love the first Mission Impossible. 2nd one was horrrrrible. The 3rd one was great. Now thankfully the series is 3 of 4. Another fun as hell action flick with TONS of amazing stunt sequences. Loved it. Definitely worth seeing on the big screen.



12.
Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows Part 2



I got into the Harry Potter movies pretty late and didnt get really into em till they started getting darker. This was a great end to the series and look forward to watching through all of them back to back sometime.




11.
Attack the Block


This is on a lot of top lists this year and with good reason. Tons of fun. Awesome creatures. Great score. Highly recommend.




and now my top 10 films of 2011.



10.
The Man from Nowhere


While this could be considered a 2010 flick, it didnt see any kind of major release here till this year so its included on my list. A really great flick with some awesome action and a great character to root for. Definitely worth checking out.




9.
Troll Hunter


Ive heard people say they absolutely love this movie and others say they HATED it. Put me in that first category. So much fun. Great fx. Loved every second of it.



8.
Dream Home


If you like your gore, then here ya go. Some fucking awesome and brutal kills in this one. Its on netflix streaming though im not sure if its the cut version so MAKE SURE to seek out the uncut version. You wont regret it.



7.
Hobo With a Shotgun


Do I really need to explain the greatness of Hobo With a Shotgun to you? Didnt think so.




6.
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo


Ive seen the original and loved it and now we have the remake and I love it as well. While they didnt change a ton, the David Fincher touch on it made me love it more. Trent Reznor's score was amazing. I always enjoy Daniel Craig. Then theres Rooney Mara. An actress I really hate. Every interview ive heard of her just makes her sound like an absolute turd. She was horrible in the Elm Street remake but in this... pretty damn good. Still hate her but she was great in this.




5.
Rise of the Planet of the Apes


Talk about unexpected. Ive seen the first POTA only once and I dug it. The remake was horrible. Never cared enough to see the rest of the series. So I really wasnt expecting anything from this until I started reading the review. So I gave it a chance and... holy hell i loved it. Actually makes me want to watch the series now.





4.
Tucker and Dale VS Evil


Man if you havent seen this movie yet, what the hell are you waiting for? Its easily the funnest movie of the year. Sequels NEED to be made.



3.
Insidious


The best movie of its kind since Poltergeist. Some amazingly creepy moments. Tiny Tim has never sounded so creepy.




2.
Contagion


I love virus flicks and this one was great. Starts off right when the film starts rolling and never pauses. At under 2 hours I could have sat there and watched a 5 hour version. I didnt want it to end.




1.
I Saw the Devil



I knew from the first time I watched this back in January that it would most likely be my number 1 movie a year later. I was right. Its brutal. Its violent. Its just an amazingly entertaining and grisly movie. In my opinion it is EASILY the best movie of the year.




So theres my top 30 films of the year.
Agree or not, its my personal list so eat it
:)

No comments: